Mind on Destination

9:10 AM 0 Comments A+ a-


A tiny bit about me and why I want to Study Abroad when I already am

I'm an international student of Northern Illinois University, a junior in standing, an English (writing) major with minors in Linguistics and Japanese Studies, and a girl who loves learning new languages and a change in scenery every once a while. Despite dreading plane rides--ironically, seeing as to how I've much I've flown my entire life--I love traveling and visiting new places and cultures, and Japan has simply been at the top of my list of countries to go (and after that comes England, France, and Germany! One mustn't forget the birth places of some of the most amazing composers to have ever graced the earth but let's not go there right now--)

Just so there's no confusion, I'm Taiwanese-Malaysian with a Malaysian passport, and I've lived in both Taiwan and Malaysia until three years ago when I came to America for college. As I begin posting my experiences studying abroad in Japan, be aware that I'm writing as an Asian from Asia who's already been studying abroad for three years and is quite familiar with the notion of being abroad.


The application to the programme ah, I adore this spelling!! 


The program I'm participating in is a cosponsored program by my university and USAC. There's three different stages to applying: the first being an application sent to the Study Abroad Office at NIU, then once approved, to the University Studies Abroad Consortium (aka USAC), and when that is approved, to the host university in Japan itself. 

I'm not going to lie but the application process is long, complicated, and frustrating (but I'm absolutely certain it's going to be so worth it in the end.) There's a credit-approval form for classes I want to take from abroad, health forms, letter to the dorm/host families, letter of reason of study, essays, bank statements, proof of Japanese proficiency, and so one and so forth. 

I think the only reason I survived this entire application process was because I started it a year early. So really, if you're thinking of studying abroad, start your application ahead of time, especially if there are limited spaces available

After receiving confirmation that I'm accepted as a student by the university in Japan comes the task of applying for a Japanese visa. Surprisingly, this step is the easiest and shortest for me as it only took less than a week to get done and approved (but I am made aware that sometimes, depending on individual cases and places, the process might take up to weeks and months.) 

A word of good news for my fellow international friends from Malaysia who have gone through the process of applying for an American visa, applying for a Japanese visa is way less stressful!! 

- drowns in gratefulness- 

Why I chose this programme or Osaka, really


When I made the decision to study abroad in Japan, my first choice was actually Tokyo. I enjoy city life and the feeling of being surrounded by people, concrete, and skyscrapers (allow me to digress and say that when I first got to Birmingham, America--where I first started college before transferring to NIU--and was told that it was a city, I was shocked. There was not a single sighting of anything that resembled a tall building in view. At all. But then I came to DeKalb...) However, after discussing with my Japanese professor about this issue, I agreed with her suggestion that perhaps for my first experience of Japan, it would be better if I went to somewhere more laid-back. As to why Osaka? Well... 

(Conversation with Japanese friend a week pre-application)

Me: Is there a place you'd suggest that isn't Tokyo for me to study abroad at?
Friend: What are you looking for in a place?
Me: ...nothing much? I'm fine with any place as long as there's a decent amount of people.
Friend: The food in Osaka is pretty good.

So yeah... Food is actually one of the first deciding factors for me. The fact that the fees I have to pay for studying in Osaka is cheaper than Tokyo is an additional (and very much appreciated) plus. I'm pretty much sold on Osaka after that. 

Have I also mentioned that I truly am overjoyed that Kyoto is really close by? I'll definitely be planning some trips there during my four-month stay there. 

Anticipation & Anxieties and everything in between and beyond


I'll be arriving in Kansai International Airport in four days and right now, I'm torn between nervousness and panic. It didn't occur to me until last month that despite being quite confident in my Japanese language classes in America, my meager knowledge in the Japanese language is not going to bring me very far conversation-wise. As odd as it may sound, I'm actually excited to finally experience what it means to live in a country where I am not fluent in the language at all! There's going to be lots of confusion and awkwardness and I simply can't wait! Imagine all the writing materials I'd get to accumulate for my stories! 

-hangs out the sign 'I'm a writer. Everything you do and say may be used in my story'-
-you've been warned-

I'm looking forward to meeting new people, learning about new cultures, adventuring to new places, and creating memories that will last a lifetime. 

I'll be writing from Osaka the next time I post~ 
There'll definitely be photos. Lots and lots of photos.